Dear Kobe

Truth be told, I've not been a Kobe Bryant fan. I don't know if it was the open devotion/mimicry of the G.O.A.T., the cocky swagger or just the dumb look on his face, but I listened to P.E. and didn't believe the hype. Over the last couple of years, however, I realized it was my own stubborn self, and not the hatred of Kobe of his game, that was driving me to dislike The Bean for whatever reason.

Maybe it was that I was brought up on Air Jordan, or maybe it was the mystique that is Shaq. Or it could be the origin of his first name making it easier for him to engage in wars of words with enemies and teammates. There are just certain things that are undeniable: The 3 NBA Championships. The (recent) 52-point game. The 81-point game. The NBA 1997 Slam Dunk Contest. Two All-Star Game MVP trophies. Being NBA All-Team every season since 1999. His dime-piece of a wifey. The 12 3-pointers. The list goes on...

I don't know if it's my getting older or Kobe growing more mature, but the last few seasons, especially with the Lakers on his back, have been different. He's got a more grown-man feel to his game and the overall way he handles himself. And with the Lakers sitting right up there with the Spurs in the West (thank God for Pau Gasol), it looks like the 2008 NBA Playoffs is going to be very interesting.

I'm not saying I am the complete Kobe fan - I don't look good in purple and gold. I am just apologizing to one of the dons of the modern-day NBA. While I do not wholly agree with your personality, I am downright in awe of your talent, and I have the utmost respect for your game on the court. Keep wowing us, Bean.

-khal

P.S.: Today is Kobe Bryant Blog Day. Shouts to Hardwood Paroxysm for putting this extravoganza together; check out the Kobe Bryant Blog Day running thread for all of the KB posts from around the NBA blogosphere.

Posted bykhal at 9:22 AM  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds