Dahntay's Lament

Damn, homey. In high school you was the MAN homey, what the f*ck happened to you?


In all seriousness, though, I am kind of shook that a local boy who made it, Dahntay Jones, was just waived by the Kings the other day. He had actually just gotten signed by them in December, but in TrueHoop's recent post on the heavy WAIVE day we just had, Dahntay showed up.

It's weird; neph is one year older than me, and I never really spoke to him, but in elementary school, I saw him play a few times. He had skills then. Really cool dude. I was never surprised when he went from Steinert HS in Hamilton to Rutgers then onto Duke (playing alongside cats like Carlos Boozer, Shane Battier and Mike Dunleavy Jr. in the 2000-01 Blue Devils Championship season). It was inevitable that he'd be in the Pros, and turning on Grizzlies games in the past, I felt that hometown pride. Anyone who grew up or knows about Trenton, NJ, it's hard to shake that stigma the world gives you on that. He overcame all of that, and one can only hope he gets back on his grind and gets re-signed by someone.

Best of luck, my dude.

EDIT: On a note from Anonymous, I reread the article and realized my mistake, that Dahntay was NOT released, but he is currently on a non-guaranteed, 1 year contract with the Kings. So, he's good for a non-guaranteed year. And yes, he's playing solid, so he shouldn't have a problem getting a new contract at the end of the season. Still and all, best of luck to the man.

Posted bykhal at 8:40 AM  

2 comments:

Anonymous said... January 9, 2008 at 11:20 AM  

He wasn't released.
He just has a 1 year, contract w\ Sac. With the way he's playing, he'll get another deal.

khal said... January 9, 2008 at 11:25 AM  

That's my mistake. I must have misread the article. I'll be posting an edit to this. thank you, anonymous.

Post a Comment

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds